Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Goodbye Homer Spit

Yesterday we left Homer, headed for Seward.   We stopped at Diamond M campground again. It is such a nice place and very reasonable with our Passport America discount. I needed their good wifi to pay bills and such. I also had to print off a return mailing label  for our surge protector that died early in the trip. It is under warranty but we don't know where we will be for them to ship us a new one!  But, at least we were anle to get the old one to a UPS store.

We only traveled about 50 miles today. We stopped at Quartz Creek National Forest Campground because it is listed as a good gold panning place. It is a nice campground, but has no hookups. Sites cost $18 and $28 depending on the sizr. 

    
We panned for several hours, but came back empty handed.  I developed a leak in one of my boots, so I had one really cold foot. Good waterproof boots are  a necessity in Alaska. This is one rainy, muddy place. I will have to get a new pair when we get to Seward. Another item that you don't want to be caught out without if the temperature is over 65 degrees 
Mosquitoes are vicious up here, as are black flies.  I would rather look silly in my net than have a face full of bites.   Get the net with the repellent already on it. 


Lots of bears around these streams so always carry your bear spray



We had fun panning. Maybe we will have better luck at our next panning stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment